I'm ashamed to say that..

• Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Nothing wrong, although I would say 'a dire'.

The real issue here is when to use such an expression. I have a feeling that Italians are less prone to the use of apologetic, self-deprecating etc. expressions than at least Americans - I am not sure about you guys - are.

Do you have a couple of examples that you can share?

pacman10

English-UK
    Thank you for this feedback.

A couple of examples:
    • I'm ashamed to say that I was not aware of the problem
    • I'm ashamed to say that I can't cook or even boil an egg

pacman10

English-UK
    Aaah, OK. Somewhat less grovelling or less self-flagellating, as Odysseus54 suggested above. Thank you.

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Aaah, OK. Somewhat less grovelling or less self-flagellating, as Odysseus54 suggested above. Thank you.
    Well, at second thoughts you can also translate literally in some contexts but you should use a slightly different structure:
    Mi vergogno a dirlo ma non so neanche fare un uovo lesso.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Well, at second thoughts you can also translate literally in some contexts but you should use a slightly different structure:
    Mi vergogno a dirlo ma non so neanche fare un uovo lesso.
    As a "non-madrelingua", I wonder: for "even", could we also say (instead of 'neanche fare un uovo lesso') 'fare nemmeno un uovo lesso'? Grazie per i suoi consigli!

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    As a "non-madrelingua", I wonder: for "even", could we also say (instead of 'neanche fare un uovo lesso') 'fare nemmeno un uovo lesso'?
    I'd say so. "Neanche", "neppure" and "nemmeno" are mostly interchangeable. As for their position within the sentence, the way Pietruzzo placed it lays more emphasis on the action (fare), or, more precisely, on the subject's inability to perform said action. On the other hand, your version lays more stress on the object, on the specific food the subject is unable to make (un uovo, as opposed to another dish). That's the way I read it, at least.

Grazie per i suoi consigli!
    There's no need for such formality on this forum. :p

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Me ne vergogno! :oops: :( And to think the Italians kindly said that I speak good Italian (althought they added "...per uno straniero." :D ) last time I was there.

< Previous | Next >