I'm balling. vs. I'm bawling.

zaffy

Polish
I watched a video on YT in which a guy bought a car for his poor sister. Someone wrote down in the comment section:

I’m BALLING; this was such a beautiful moment and really inspires me to work my ass off to provide for my family too. This is what it’s all about! Love it!

What does 'to ball' mean?

balling.jpg

• Loob

English UK
    More like "I'm crying my eyes out".
    Katerina L is weeping because she has been so moved by the story.

Cross-posted

zaffy

Polish
    bawl vs. ball
    Just looked it up and indeed the pronunciation is the same :) Didn't know that verb. Learning all the time :)

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Yes, grammatically speaking, but 'tearing up' doesn't describe the same thing as 'crying.' 'Tearing up' is when your eyes fill with tears without your making the sounds that are associated with crying or weeping. You can't tell whether someone is tearing up unless you look at them.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Yes, grammatically speaking, but 'tearing up' doesn't describe the same thing as 'crying.' 'Tearing up' is when your eyes fill with tears without your making the sounds that are associated with crying or weeping. You can't tell whether someone is tearing up unless you look at them.
    Roxxxannne is right. I was in too much of a hurry with my previous post! :oops: My apologies.

zaffy

Polish
    Yeah, looks like natives have indeed a problem with this word. Another typo found. What might be the reason? Is it a matter of the level of education of those people?

balling 3.jpg

kentix

English - U.S.
    Don't ever take casual chat on internet sites as a lesson in grammar and spelling. Many people don't know how to spell or write standard English well and others who do don't bother in this kind of context. Expect it to be more wrong than right.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Also be aware that balling is a slang term with a different meaning. You might see that, too.

“Ballin'” is a term often heard as slang, especially in the black community. It means to live with affluence, to have wealth. It is sometimes spelled and pronounced with a “g,” and sometimes not. It's thought to have originated from the term “having a ball.”Sep 6, 2018​

Loob

English UK
    Don't ever take casual chat on internet sites as a lesson in grammar and spelling. Many people don't know how to spell or write standard English well and others who do don't bother in this kind of context. Expect it to be more wrong than right.
    And English spelling is really quite hard, to be fair:cool:.

< Previous | Next >