I'm boiling (hot) -- in AE?

takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!
As far as I know, the following expressions exist in British English and mean "I'm hot", as in temperature (correct me if I'm wrong):
"I'm boiling."
"I'm boiling hot."
(As in "Turn down the heating, I'm boiling (hot) in here.")
==> Are they used the same way in American English, too?

Thanks!

• Copyright

American English
    I would be roasting ... in fact, in Penang, I am.

I'm roasting.
    It's roasting in here.
    Turn down the heat – I'm roasting. Aren't you hot?
    Turn down the heat – it's roasting in here.

I don't boil.

takiakos76

Hungarian
    @Copyright: and you never use the terem "I'm boiling hot", either?
    @vivace160: do you mean both phrases are common?

Thank you!

sdgraham

USA English
    Since I tend to be a literal-minded person, I don't use either boiling or roasting, both of which are obviously impossible.:rolleyes:

vivace160

American English
    @Copyright: and you never use the terem "I'm boiling hot", either?
    @vivace160: do you mean both phrases are common?

Thank you!
    Where I'm from, both phrases ("I'm boiling!" and "I'm boiling hot!") are common enough that I use them myself quite regularly. There are so many possibilities one can say that mean the same thing, though, and I hear other phrases used just as often as this one, so it's not as though this one is so common that it's what most people say. It's just common enough that it sounds natural to me and feels natural for me to say.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    The only problem I have with "I'm boiling hot" is that it's so close to "I'm boiling mad." I've heard "He was boiling hot" used to mean "He was very angry."

If you're complaining about the heat. This could cause confusion. "Roasting" is not used so.

I asked him a dozen times to turn down the heat because I was roasting. He told me that I could afford to sweat a few pounds off. Now I'm just boiling. (Am I hot or angry?)

< Previous | Next >