I'm calling bullshit

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Radioh, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Sydney, Australia
    Vietnamese
    Hello,
    I've seen "I'm calling bullshit" used a lot in forums discussions(not Wordreference, to be exact, but other forums) and though I never aksed for its meaning, I kind of get what it means and when to use it. I just need a confirmation if my understanding is correct. So, "I'm calling bullshit" is used to point out inconsistency in someone's statement, or something you think is untrue based on personal experience and usually followed by your own opinion. Here's my example:
    - ABC restaurant is so good. The food is delicious and very cheap.
    - I'm calling billshit. I've eaten there before and it was terrible.
    Is this how one would use it? One more thing, I think this phrase sounds very American though not sure why.

2. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    I'm not sure it really fits your example because you're disagreeing with someone else's opinion which might be honest as far as he's concerned.

The phrase is more likely to be used when you suspect someone is deliberately misrepresenting something.

3. AirbusA321LR Senior Member

Philippines
    German
    I think phrases like "I'm calling bullshit" or " I call that bullshit" are usually used in emotional discussions, e.g. about politics, when people have reached the point where they absolutely don't care about politeness anymore.