I'm career-oriented but not workaholic

< Previous | Next >

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

Does this sentence make sense to you? :

I concede that I'm career-oriented, but I wouldn't go as far as calling myself a workaholic.

Can I say that workaholic has a more negative connotation in comparison with career-oriented and then say okay I am career-oriented but I am not workaholic?

Or are those two words basically the same and cannot be used in that sentence?

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Can I say that workaholic has a more negative connotation in comparison with career-oriented ..
    Yes. Any word made up from alcoholic with the -holic ending is probably intended to imply that the condition is pathological, although people sometimes exaggerate or use the -holic ending to be humorous, e.g. chocoholic. Career-oriented, family-oriented, goal-oriented etc. don't have this extreme connotation.

Last edited:

supermarioutd

Persian
    Yes. Any word made up from alcoholic with the -holic ending is probably intended to imply that the condition is pathological, although people sometimes exaggerate or use the -holic ending to be humorous, e.g. chocoholic. Career-oriented, family-oriented, goal-oriented etc. don't have this extreme connotation.

Tamara9

French
    For future viewers of this thread: Workaholic means to be addicted to work, escaping one's feeling through always working.

< Previous | Next >