I'm checking in. [at the hotel reception]

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I was watching an English conversation lesson for beginners on TV, and heard you normally wouldn't say 'I'm checking in' when you first show up at the front desk of a hotel. Rather you would say something like 'I think I have reservation for tonight and ....' However, it's totally normal to say 'I'm checking out' when you are leaving. Come to think of it, true I normally don't say 'I'm checking in.' Does 'I'm checking in' sound unidiomatic?

• reno33

English - USA
    I personally don't see anything wrong with "I'm checking in".....I've used the phrase myself in several instances. (Actually, I said: "checking in"......leaving out the "I'm".)

HSS

The coach on the program, who was a native speaker of English from Hawaii, added 'It sounds too technical, jargon-like ... by which I mean a phrase workers inside hotel more often use.' But 'checking out' is okay? Inconsistent.

Edit: phrases >>> a phrase

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    The coach on the program, who was a native speaker of English from Hawaii, added 'It sounds too technical, jargon-like ... by which I mean phrases workers inside hotel more often use.' But 'checking out' is okay? Inconsistent.
    Both are fine (among other expressions) I would ignore your "coach" in Hawaii.

HSS

Good to hear that. Because it long since hasn't made sense to me. 'Checking in' and 'checking out' are equally used elsewhere.

< Previous | Next >