I'm delighted to be invited to the dinner

ALEX1981X

Banned
Italian
Hello friends

I'd need to thank some people and I'd like to know the nuance between the following sentences I'm going to write

Context: I've received an invitation for a dinner which will be held next Sunday.

1) I'm delighted to be invited to the dinner next Sunday

2) I'm delighted to have been invited to the dinner next Sunday

Frankly I don't know what is best to write
What's the difference?

Thanks guys :)

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'd use version (1) with a present infinitive, as the invitation is still open.

For (2) to work, I think you'd have to have a scenrio in which you were thanking your hosts after the event- something along the lines of "I was delighted to have been invited last Sunday"

Myridon

English - US
    2 could be used if you are unable to attend. You have been invited (the action happened) but you don't consider yourself to be in the state "invited" because you are not going to go.
    I'm delighted to have been invited to the dinner next Sunday, but I have a prior engagement.

ALEX1981X

Banned
    Italian
    Thanks everybody

I think that I'm delighted to have been invited to the dinner next Sunday can be rephrased as I'm delighted that I have been invited to the dinner next Sunday

Am I wrong guys?

jiamajia

Mandarin
    A related question:

Do we say [I am very delighted to accept the invitation]?

Is 'very' necessary? Thank you.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It's better not to use "very" with strong adjectives such as "delighted" or "amazing" or "terrible".

< Previous | Next >