I'm finding it a fantastic city

< Previous | Next >

Ultramarine

Ukrainian
Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if present progressive is possible in this sentence:

Last year we went to Rome. I ___ (find) it a fantastic city and I'd love to go back there again.

I think I should stick to present simple. But what if I want to put emphasis on the time right now? Will 'finding' be still incorrect?

Many thanks!

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Lat year, when you were there, you could have said I'm finding it a fantastic city, because then it was an ongoing experience.

Now, you can say I found it a fantastic city if you want to describe how you felt last year, or I find it a fantastic city if you want to say that you did then and still do.

George French

English - UK
    I'd like to know if present progressive is possible in this sentence:

Last year we went to Rome. I ___ (find) it a fantastic city and I'd love to go back there again.

I think I should stick to present simple. But what if I want to put emphasis on the time right now? Will 'finding' be still incorrect?
    I would only use the past or present tense. "I found it a" or "I find it a" fantastic...

GF..

Erase finding..... in this case......

wolfbm1

Polish
    The verb find in your sentence is used to indicate how one sees a thing or situation. It is similar in meaning to consider, think or believe, which are non-progressive. (Source: e.g. Advanced Grammar in Use by Martin Hewings)

Last edited:

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I could easily say "I'm finding it" if I've just arrived and I'm actually still on the short holiday in a new city and I want to emphasise "right now".
    It's all part of the fairly modern switch of traditionally stative verbs that don't usually take present tense continuous to actually using them in a few specific ways (like McDonald's slogan: "I'm loving it").

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Alx's view, in general - you can see 'stative' verbs as really only verbs which are lagging behind other verbs in developing a continuous form. So I would have no problem at all with "I'm finding Rome a fantastic city" if I were still on holiday there.

But I don't think it works in your context, Ultramarine. If you went to Rome last year, I think you'd have to say "I found it a fantastic city". If you want to stress that that's still your opinion, you could say "I find it a fantastic city". The second would be less usual, I think:).

wolfbm1

Polish
    ... It's all part of the fairly modern switch of traditionally stative verbs that don't usually take present tense continuous to actually using them in a few specific ways (like McDonald's slogan: "I'm loving it").
    I wouldn't be very much surprised if McDonald's came up with another slogan: I'm likin' it. Revolutionary statements always shock and are remembered easily.
    As a non-native speaker of English I prefer using "I find it". It is interesting to know that in some situations it is OK to say: I'm finding it ... .

< Previous | Next >