''I'm glad...'' vs ''It's a good thing...''

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

My question: Is the use of "I'm glad...'' synonymous of "It's a good thing..." in the context below? If not, what is the difference? Please take a look.

a. I'm glad this program is over. Vs It's a good thing this program is over.
b. I'm glad you're here. Vs It's a good thing you're here.

Meaning intended: it's fortunate, it's lucky that something happened.

Thank you in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    When I read that you are glad about something, I certainly believe that you think it's a good thing.

"It's a good thing" could mean that it's fortunate or lucky that something happened. However, something can be a good thing without being the product of fortune or good luck.

Andygc

British English
    No they are not synonymous

I'm glad = I am pleased that it has happened - but it is not necessarily a good thing.

I'm glad he was killed, I hated him. Unfortunately he was the best president the country ever had, so it is not really a good thing for Ruritania.
    It's a good thing you are here because you can eat all of the cream cakes before I do. However, I'm not glad because I hate being on this diet.

pob14

American English
    I use them with a slight difference, actually (I think in a similar way to what Andy is saying). I generally use "it's a good thing" to imply that some bad consequence has been avoided.

I'm glad you're here; we can watch
    Lord of the Rings together.
    It's a good thing you're here; otherwise you might have been killed when your home caught on fire.

Andygc

British English
    I'm glad you answered your own question, but I don't think it's a good thing.
    Likewise, Xavier.

"I'm glad..." is for something, good or bad, that pleases me.
    "It's a good thing...'' is for something that is good.

They are not synonyms.

< Previous | Next >