I'm going to the garden and plant a flower.

hboo

Chinese
Hello,

Is this sentence grammatical: I'm going to the garden and plant a flower.

Here is my understanding:
1. "be(am) going to" here is present tense of "go", therefor "plant" should be "planting": I'm going to the garden and planting a flower.--"going" and "planting" are the coordinative structure.
2. "be(am) going to" means future tense, similar as "will", therefor the sentence should be"I'm going to go to the garden and plant a flower."--"go" and "plant" are the coordinative structure.

But I really don't know if I'm correct about this at all.

Thanks.

• Andygc

British English
    You have a choice:
    I'm going to the garden to plant a flower. Says that you are going there now and why you are going there.
    I'm going to go to the garden and plant a flower. Says that you will go there and what you will do when you get there.
    I'm going to go to the garden to plant a flower.Says that you will go and why you are going there.

hboo

Chinese
    Thank you, Andy. I see your point and I understand that they mean different things. But my quesiton is whether the original sentence is grammatical: "I'm going to the garden and plant a flower." I worked on it a bit. But I'm not sure if "I'm going to the garden and planting a flower." is grammatical either.

Andygc

British English
    Sorry, I thought you would understand that as I did not include it, it was ungrammatical.
    I'm going to the garden and planting a flower is grammatically fine, although it suggest that you are doing them simultaneously, which is logically incoherent.

hboo

Chinese
    Thank you very much, Andy.

May I have one more question:
    I'm going to the garden to plant a flower. Says that you are going there now and why you are going there.
    Could this also be correct: Says that you will go there and why you will go there?

Andygc

British English
    It could be future in the right context.
    I prepare to get up from my chair - I'm going to the garden ... I'm going to do it in the immediate future
    With a time modifier Tomorrow I'm going to the garden ... /I'm going to the garden tomorrow ...

< Previous | Next >