I'm <gonna board> my plane

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Well, moderator Florentia52 told me that no sentence with "gonna" will be correct here. So I wonder whether it should be "I'm going to board my plane".

Thanks in advance

(Backdrop: A passenger was dealing with workers of the United Airlines after being dragged off the plane)

"I'm gonna board my plane.
If you don't have proper reason to remove me, you may simply try it - if you dare to touch me again, I'll call the police."

(The result was that the workers stopped trying to block her going aboard. But another Asian female student was dragged off the plane by the workers and the plane then took off.)

Last edited:
  • Hermione Golightly

British English
    There must be very few of us who always clearly enunciate 'I'm going to...' or 'I want to...' as if we were in language class. This passenger would have been very agitated which makes it even less likely that she was bothering about correct speech.

The problem is that the extreme distortions 'gonna' and 'wanna' have entered the language and even become dictionary entries, words in their own right, with widespread use. Students sometimes think they are as valid as any short forms, as if we wrote and always said 'isn't' like 'sunt', or something like that.

Students need to know that whatever they choose to say in casual conversation, these forms are not acceptable in good, educated standard English, especially not when written, except maybe as part of a dialogue when they would represent the way the characters actually spoke, or, of course, when reporting what people said. This is why they are not permitted on a language forum.

Newspaper reports don't correct the actual words used. The way people speak tells us a lot about them. Even if they make grammar mistakes it isn't corrected. You might sometimes see [sic] after a word. This indicates that it's not a typo or the journalist's mistake, but what the speaker said. (It's Latin for 'thus' I think, 'in this way', or in everyday English, 'that's exactly what was said').

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >