I'm/I would be like 90.

< Previous | Next >

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
Hi.

This is a hypothetical situation.

A 30 year-old woman is getting married.
She and her husband are not going on a honeymoon mainly to save money now.
This is what she says to her friend.

"I've thought about whether I would regret not going on a honeymoon when [I'm/I would be ] like 90."

As a native speaker, would you say "I'm" or "I would be"?

If the sentence above is not correct, please let me know.

Thank you.

• se16teddy

English - England
    What do you mean by "like" here? There are a couple of possible interpretations.

I can't think of any justification for "would be". The direct speech is "Will I regret it when I am 90?". The normal indirect speech equivalent is "I have thought about whether I will regret it when I am 90".

It might also be possible to justify backshifting: "I have thought about whether I would regret it when I was 90". But I don't think we normally backshift with a present perfect tense main verb.

Last edited:

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    Thank you, heypresto and se16teddy!

I didn't have a reason to specify the age, so what I hoped for was to mean "about/around 90" by adding "like".
    About 90 years old is the most common age for Japanese women to die.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Like isn't a synonym for about.
    Actually, it more or less is. like - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    nearly; approximately: The house is more like 40 years old.
    Like is a synonym for I'm very careless about how I use language and I don't really know what I'm saying.
    That's a bit harsh. "Like" is often used as a filler interjection (and if rendered in writing should, like, be enclosed in commas). An extremely annoying habit if overdone, I agree, but one which (I may be wrong on this) seems to be showing signs of waning.

< Previous | Next >