''I'm joking'' Vs 'I'm not being serious''

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

I already knew that the expression "I'm joking" is idiomatic English and yesterday I learned here that "I'm not being srious" is also idiomatic English. My question: Is "I'm joking" a better/more common option than "I'm not being serious"? Please take a look.

"...I'm joking. You aren't really fat. You're actually in good shape. I'm sorry if I offended you with what I said.''
"...I'm not being serious. You aren't really fat. You're actually in good shape. I'm sorry if I offended you with what I said.''

Thank you in advance!

• EStjarn

Spanish
    Hi Xavier,

I wouldn't rule out either since different contexts call for different expressions.

'I'm not being serious' sounds to me, in comparison to 'I'm joking', wordy, formal and not very friendly.

In the above example, where only part of the context is known, I'd probably choose 'I'm joking'.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think that was just a misplaced quote in #4, Hermione. I'd use "I'm just joking/kidding (like Parla)/joshing."

boozer

Bulgarian
    Most of the time I have heard and used the second option as a question when wanting to express my incredulity/surprise: 'You're not being serious, are you?' and it sounds, indeed, a little more formal than 'You must be joking, right?'. Although there is nothing in 'I'm not being serious', grammatically, that would make it unacceptable. And I also understand the meaning. It is just that I would be unlikely to say it...

< Previous | Next >