I'm moving some songs to my USB drive.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
effe.jpg

Hello,
Suppose that I want to move some songs to my USB drive from my laptop so that I can listen them in my car.

Is it natural to say "I'm moving some songs to my USB drive."?

If it's not natural, then how would you say such a sentence yourself?

Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    "Moving" is okay, but you could also use "downloading" or "copying." I think "onto" is a bit more natural here than "to."

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    The sentence you suggest sounds correct to me but does not appear to convey the exact meaning you require.

The alternatives in the reply above have slightly different meanings.

If you move files, they are no longer in the place they once occupied. If you have music files and you wish to listen to them in an additional (rather than alternative) location, you would copy them.

You can copy them "to" a USB or "onto" a USB. The latter sounds more emphatic to me, but presumably not to everyone.

"Download" relates to copying files from the internet or from a server so I don't find it appropriate when the source file is on a laptop.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I prefer 'copy (on)to' as well, for the reasons given above.

You'll also be aware that there are different names for the item: USB stick, memory stick, flash drive, thumb drive etc.

Radioh

Vietnamese
    Yes, I prefer 'copy (on)to' as well, for the reasons given above.

You'll also be aware that there are different names for the item: USB stick, memory stick, flash drive, thumb drive etc.
    Disk key is another name for the item that I really like. Probably cos of the metaphor. Do you use it? If yes, how common is it? I know this is kind of off topic but still...

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Hello again,

Can "copying into" also work instead of "copying onto" in my context?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. A USB stick is seen as a 'drive' and things go onto a drive. But you can copy them into a folder [that is] on the drive.

< Previous | Next >