I'm off the deep end...

Julie_UM

Argentina, Spanish
Hi everyone!
I've been reading the lyrics of Shallow and I can't quite get what this part of the song means:

I'm off the deep end, watch as I dive in
I'll never meet the ground
Crash through the surface, where they can't hurt us
We're far from the shallow now

The whole idea I get is that the singer(s) is/are trying to move from a shallow kind of life to a more deeper, meaningful one (tell me if you agree on this or have a different view). Anyway, I'd like to have a more accurate explanation of the lines I copied in this post. A complete interpretation of the song would be really appreciated as well . :) Full lyrics here: Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julia

• simonala

English (U.S.)
    Hi Julia!

To “go off the deep end” usually means to lose your mind (like perder la cordura). But I read the whole lyrics and here it doesn’t seem to have a negative connotation. Perhaps going off the deep end can be a good thing if it means leaving behind the shallow kind of things people often seek out, especially in the world of entertainment. Of course I haven’t seen the movie yet and songs are open to so many personal interpretations, but my two cents.

FromPA

USA English
    I agree with Simonala as to the usual meaning of the phrase (going crazy), but that meaning doesn’t seem to fit exactly with the rest of the verse as I interpret it. “Off the deep end” in the usual sense implies falling (unintentional), whereas the writer is diving in (intentional). The shallow end of a pool is a safe area because your feet can touch the ground. Having your feet on the ground from a social standpoint implies being connected to reality (as interpreted by the “mainstream culture?). Being in the deep end, your feet no longer touch the bottom, so you’re in a more dangerous, chaotic place, disconnected from the safety and security that the general culture provides. In other words, it’s the usual rant of a young person who knows it all and doesn’t want to listen to anyone:D.

Julie_UM

Argentina, Spanish
    Thanks for your answers!

Nota de moderadora
    Una pregunta por hilo (regla 2), gracias.
    Bevj

Last edited by a moderator:

awaterston

English
    This song is about falling down and rebirth because she jumps into the deep end of a lake and will never meet the ground (never die), and nobody can get them in the deep end because the others are stuck in the shallow end of the lake. A body of water represents the past, we were all fish once who emerged from the sea. I'm in the deep end because I have a lot of dark past that is hard to navigate/swim through, and dark waters, not very clear past. Everyone else is in the shallow end and doesn't have to try to keep afloat because their past is not deep and unknown and vast, it is clear and safe, and they can't relate or even reach my perspective out in the deep water, I'm a big fish in a small pond. In the bad times I feel myself. In the bad times I uncover who I am who I was in the dark hazy past. Please read Walden by HDT to understand the symbolism of a lake and body of water as unclear past.

What's more is that the girl in the song can be viewed as an Ophelia character, where she dives into the water knowing she is going to drown (not meet ground). She sort of sees her death as a chance at rebirth/escape from the modern world.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >