I'm one year near to my death/I've reached one year closer to my death.

shop-englishx

Banned
Urdu
Hi, native friends,

Is the underlined part idiomatic?

I'm one year near to my death/I've reached one year closer to my death.

Thought: When a year ends, a man comes more closer to his death, as everyone knows that human life is transient; one has to die sooner or later, Allah has prewritten it in His Holy book. 2015 has ended up, 2016 has started and we've come closer one year near/closer to our deaths (the time and day of the death have already been written by Allah.)

Thanks a lot. :)

• Copyright

American English
    I would say, "I'm one year closer to my death" or "I'm one year nearer my death."

Edit: Correcting neat to year.

Last edited:

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    Thank you so much, Copy. :)

I am wondering if I can also say:

2016 has brought me 1 year closer to/nearer my death.
    2016 has reduced my life by 1 year. ??

Copyright

American English
    Yes, you can ... and I hope the realization makes you want to do more with your life, rather than less. :)

On another note, some of us don't start sentences with numbers, even if it's a year. We find a way of writing around that problem.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    On another note, some of us don't start sentences with numbers, even if it's a year.
    So what would you recommend writing before the number (in this case-- 2016)? Need I put 'the' before it?
    e.g: The year 2016...

(I think no one would say 'the 2016')

Copyright

American English
    You can use "The year 2016 ..." or you can find another way to word the thought (which I must admit I don't understand – 2016 has only just begun).

It makes more sense to me to say, "The passing of 2015 brings me one year closer to my own passing."

< Previous | Next >