I'm OVERWHELMED by so many special days.

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
As you know in two days time it's Valentine's Day and so another obligation to give and recieve valentines. With one thing and another we are constantly celebrating special occasions.

I was trying to express how I'm feeling in English and I only came up with this expression: I'm overwhelmed by so many special days.

What expression or adjective would you use to express this feeling of "constant obligation": Christmas, birthdays, weddings, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day...

You have to imagine smoke billowing from my ears to really appreciate the way I feel.

Cheers :D

• SleepingLeopard

English - United States (New York)
    Hi,

To go with your image of smoke billowing from your ears, you could say that you are "burned out". :)

Teascone

English
    A more formal word "exacerbated" gets in the fustration element, I'd use "burn out" if I was wanting people to find humour in my fustration. But I'm a British English speaker.

ewie

English English
    I'd say (if I was being polite) I'm sick (or fed-up) to the back teeth with all these special occasions.

Primal

Canadian English
    I like "I am overwhelmed by all of the holidays we've had recently." And then go on to describe why. I think that's the way I would say that.
    I have never heard the word "exacerbated." I think that it you tried to use that here people would definitly look at you funny. (No offence Teascone, that's just here, not there. You guys tend to use better English than we do.)
    I don't think that anyone would use burned out here either, but that could just be my age group. To me, burned means that someone has permanant effects of doing drugs, especially marijuana.
    My take,
    Prymal

Packard

USA, English
    Well it feels like a war to me.

The saturation bombing, the Blitzkrieg if you will, of holidays of obligation was wearing me down. I'm in my bomb shelter with my hands over my ears; my eyes squeezed shut. And still I have all these holidays hovering above about to drop incendiary bombs upon my body. Where was Winston Churchill when I needed him most?

P.S.: If it is any relief, St. Valentine is no longer (since the late 1960s) a Saint according to the Catholic Church. They have nothing against him really, but they don't know anything about him and so they have removed him from their list of acceptable saints.

ewie

English English
    P.S.: If it is any relief, St. Valentine is no longer (since the late 1960s) a Saint according to the Catholic Church.
    Well, it's not much of a relief, Pack.
    A few weeks ago I was fairly well amazed to notice that my local supermarket was trying to (ahem) cajole the local populace into celebrating Chinese New Year with various tempting products. The actual percentage of Chinese folk in the supermarket's catchment area is perhaps as high as 0.0002%. The supermarket gave up on that idea and moved straight on to Valentine Day before Chinese New Year had even started.
    They're now running Valentine Day and Mother Day concurrently.

Primal

Canadian English
    Are you sure, Packard, why don't you tell us how you really feel. :p:). Did you make that up? Sounds like you put some real thought into that, if it's yours. I don't think I've ever heard anyone put so much emotion into something like that. Of course, that's good to read, or listen to in a monologue, but it would be kind of strange to say that in the middle of a conversation. Although, I guess kuleshov didn't say that he wanted a converstional example...

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    Of course I wanted a conversational example. I'm always striving to sound natural in English. I don't want to sound like a walking dictionary!!!!!

Cheers.

Packard

USA, English
    Are you sure, Packard, why don't you tell us how you really feel. :p:). Did you make that up? Sounds like you put some real thought into that, if it's yours. I don't think I've ever heard anyone put so much emotion into something like that. Of course, that's good to read, or listen to in a monologue, but it would be kind of strange to say that in the middle of a conversation. Although, I guess kuleshov didn't say that he wanted a converstional example...
    Conversationally I would write: I am sick and tired of all these "holidays" that make financial demands on me. Christmas gifts, trick or treat favors, Valentines gifts, Mother's Day, Father's day. I tell you, I am sick and tired of them and my wallet is too.

ewie

English English
    This one's a bit tricky to write down, Kule, but you could say I've had it up to here with all these special occasions and simultaneously hold your hand on a level with your eyes/head to show what level you've (erm) had it up to.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, if you just wrote I've had it up to here, I'm sure most British folk would understand it without seeing the accompanying gesture.

uptown

USA English
    This one's a bit tricky to write down, Kule, but you could say I've had it up to here with all these special occasions and simultaneously hold your hand on a level with your eyes/head to show what level you've (erm) had it up to.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, if you just wrote I've had it up to here, I'm sure most British folk would understand it without seeing the accompanying gesture.
    Americans would, too. But it might not make sense to the non-native speaker. It is an expression that evokes a specific image.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    P.S.: If it is any relief, St. Valentine is no longer (since the late 1960s) a Saint according to the Catholic Church. They have nothing against him really, but they don't know anything about him and so they have removed him from their list of acceptable saints.
    This statement is thoroughly incorrect. St. Valentine is still a saint, and has not been "removed" from any "list" of "acceptable saints" by the Catholic Church. He merely is no longer on the General Roman Calendar for worldwide liturgical commemoration. Localities that have a patronal association with him (especially parishes named for St. Valentine) are certainly free to commemorate him.

Packard

USA, English
    This statement is thoroughly incorrect. St. Valentine is still a saint, and has not been "removed" from any "list" of "acceptable saints" by the Catholic Church. He merely is no longer on the General Roman Calendar for worldwide liturgical commemoration. Localities that have a patronal association with him (especially parishes named for St. Valentine) are certainly free to commemorate him.
    Your point is noted as correct.

I admit the lack of knowledge of the finer points of canon law as Christianity is not my religion. He falls under my category of "Optional Saints". No disrespect intended.

According to Wikipedia:

The Saint Valentine who is celebrated on February 14 remains in the Catholic Church's official list of saints (the Roman Martyrology), but, in view of the scarcity of information about him, his commemoration was removed from the Roman Catholic calendar of saints for universal liturgical veneration, when this was revised in 1969, but it is included in local calendars of places such as Balzan and Malta, where relics of the saint are claimed to be found.

< Previous | Next >