I'm pumped!

moruman

Colombia, Español
Hola a todos

¿Qué significa "I'm pumped" en la siguiente frase?

"It was work but I really feel it was worth it. I'm pumped!"

Traduje todo menos la última frase, me quedó así:

"Costó trabajo pero relamente siento que valió la pena."

¿Puéden ayudarme por favor con "I'm pumped"?

¡Muchas gracias!

• borgonyon

Mexican Spanish
    Algo como: Me siento satisfecho. Me ha tonificado. Me ha dado energía. Me ha cambiado el ánimo. Por lo menos esa es la idea, más o menos, del sentido de la expresión --sobre todo, basado en que no das más contexto.

moruman

Colombia, Español
    ¡Muchas gracias por su pronta ayuda! Respecto al contexto, se trata de una persona que al principio no quería realizar una serie de abdominales pero que al final el nota que valió la pena. Es todo. Podría ser entonces Me ha cambiado el ánimo

¡Gracias de nuevo!

cwolpert

English
    Hey guys, I know that one phrase I say a lot in English when I'm excited is "I'm pumped". Is there an expression in Spanish (particularly Spain) for this kind of emotion? Like, "I'm so excited, I don't know what to do with myself" ?
    Thank you!

Iratxo

Spanish - Spain / Basque
    Welcome to wordreference cwolpert!
    You have the expression: "estoy que no me tengo"
    It can have 2 meanings: that you cannot stay standing up (because your drunk or very tired), or that you cannot contain yourself (of anger, happiness, etc.). You could say something like "estoy que no me tengo de contento" and omit "de contento" if it's obvious that you're happy.
    Other options are:
    Estoy la leche de contento.
    Estoy que te cagas de contento.

This "la leche de" and "que te cagas de" are like saying "incredibly" or "amazingly". Both are very coloquial, and I wouldn't say the second one in front of my mother... ;) By the way, I wouldn't omit "de contento" in those cases. And, of course, you can use other adjectives: animado, entusiasmado, feliz... and also enfadado, nervioso, asustado...

I've got more options, but they imply swearwords. :D

Last edited:

Jim2996

American English
    This is a word that came out of body-building. I know three specific meanings. They are still in use. Of course, there is the general, figurative meaning of excited, feeling good, elated, ready to go, or anything along those lines.

To be pumped, or pumped up, refers to what happen when one exercises by lifting weights. To be effective it's done until exhaustion, until another repetition is not possible. What happens is the muscles will swell up with blood. It's the body's natural response to this extreme exercise. It's actually quite visible. It also feels good, or, more likely, coincides with good feelings from other causes. It's the feeling that, in another sport, is called runner's high.

It can also be used at the beginning to mean, basically, warmed-up, with with the additional idea that your muscles have now been pumped full of additional blood and are ready to go, ready for the serious work.

To pump (iron) comes from the motion people make when they lift weights. It looks so similar to the motion people make when operate, or pump, old-fashion hand pumps.

The point in time when this came into general use has to be the movie Pumping Iron. It is a documentary about Arnold Schwarzenegger bodybuilding career, made more famous by . . . There can't be anyone who doesn't know. Again, movies and celebrities drive usage, for better or worse.

< Previous | Next >