I'm retarded

le Fnake

France, French
Hello,

context (from TV series Dexter) : a woman is dating a man for the 2nd time. Since she's paranoid (her previous boyfriend was a serial killer and tried to kill her), she wants to know better about him by looking in his chest of drawers while he's asleep. He awakes and catch her, but isn't upset about it.
She : "Would you believe I'm trying to get to know you better?
He : "By rifling through my stuff?"
She : "I'm retarded."

What's the meaning of this last sentence ? The définition given in WR dictionnary is "attardé, arriéré, lent mentalement". I don't think the definition fits with her, because she's someone good, police officer, rather clever, so nothing that could made someone consider her as retarded. Does it mean something like retarded in human feelings or contact as a consequence of her previous tragic love story ?

Thanks for your help.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    To be retarded has a modern, colloquial, understood meaning of "to be an idiot/stupid/daft/a dope" (usually in a slightly lighthearted way, oddly enough).

It is very hard to describe (in English or French) and I have never heard anything remotely comparable in French, unfortunately. Here it's probably closest to "Que je suis bête" or something like that.

Dee-dee (I assume ;)) is saying this in jest - it's a lighthearted spot of self-criticism such as only teenagers seem to be able to partake in.

Hope I'm helping here...

vctm

France - French
    I would go with Floor on this one: adding "je sais" really translates the context of the answer.
    Another colloquial answer in French would be:
    "Je sais, j'ai un problème"
    meaning "I have a problem in my head" and by extension "I'm retarded"

le Fnake

France, French
    I would go with Floor on this one: adding "je sais" really translates the context of the answer.
    Another colloquial answer in French would be:
    "Je sais, j'ai un problème"
    meaning "I have a problem in my head" and by extension "I'm retarded"
    thank you too, I'm now totally aware of the meaning of the sentence :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >