I'm right, aren't I? / I'm right, amn't I?

• emartinp

Spain Spanish
    Tag questions:
    I'm right, aren't I?
    I'm right, am I not?
    Tengo razón. ¿Verdad? / Tengo razón. ¿No?
    Which of these questions is more correct from the point of English Grammar and modern using or the both of them are acceptable? How can they be translated from English into Spanish?

Un saludo.

Kraken

Castellano (Español)
    I'm right, aren't I ? (the usual tag)

I'm right, am I not ? is seeking a definite: Well, yes you are or No, you are not.

Your translation into Spanish is right.
    ;)

illimani

English - UK
    Technically "aren't I" is grammatically wrong as are doesn't agree with I, but this is definitely the normal way to say this. "am I not" to me (as a native speaker) sounds very forced and strange (as if spoken either by a foreigner or a native grammar pedant) even though it's technically correct. NB that the amn't in the title thread doesn't exist as a contraction.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Technically "aren't I" is grammatically wrong as are doesn't agree with I, but this is definitely the normal way to say this. "am I not" to me (as a native speaker) sounds very forced and strange (as if spoken either by a foreigner or a native grammar pedant) even though it's technically correct. NB that the amn't in the title thread doesn't exist as a contraction.
    If you are really interested in the English variations I strongly recommend the threads you will find listed in the English Dictionary entry:
    Tag question - aren't I

There you will also find that the "amn't I" in the title is alive and well as a contraction, though not widely used.