I'm skating my wing

< Previous | Next >

misssmith

Italian
Salve!
Ho bisogno di un aiuto da parte vostra. Qualcuno di voi sa cosa significa la frase: "I'm skating my wing?"
Ho provato, ma proprio non ci arrivo. Grazie!

• misssmith

Italian
    Il contesto è il seguente: un ragazzo è appena arrivato a NY dall'Ohio per frequentare una scuola. Parla con un'altra studentessa e le dice che la vita è difficile, non conosce nessuno in città e che non fa altro che prendere la metro per andare a scuola, tornare a casa, ritornare a scuola, e il sabato va in giro da solo.
    Ho pensato che forse vuol dire che si consuma le scarpe perché cammina tanto...
    Grazie a tutti. Ciao

A guy has just come to Ny to attend a school. He's talking to another student telling her that it's hard to live there because he doesn't know anybody else and all he can do is going to school, coming back home, then going back to school, and on Saturdays he wanders about all alone. He says the following sentence: "I'm pretty much skating my wing". Does anybody know its meaning?
    Thank you.

Girino

English, USA
    I agree with carrickp that it sounds like a reference to hockey (where a wing is a player position on the forward line) but "skating my wing" doesn't make much sense in the context of having a boring or repetitive routine.

Another guess is that since these are young people talking, it might be slang from the skateboarder culture. But I'm not a madrelingua in skateboardiano!

Sorry; it still doesn't mean anything to me in English. Is this from a book? Could there be a transcription error? I wonder if this was some kind of machine translation that rendered "coasting" as "skating."

Manuel_M

Maltese
    Girino said:
    I agree with carrickp that it sounds like a reference to hockey (where a wing is a player position on the forward line) but "skating my wing" doesn't make much sense in the context of having a boring or repetitive routine.

Another guess is that since these are young people talking, it might be slang from the skateboarder culture. But I'm not a madrelingua in skateboardiano!
    An Internet search yielded a number of refernces to 'wing skate' which appeared to be a type of sailing.

misssmith said:
    Thank you all.
    Yes, Carrickp, the sentence comes from a book. If it were as you suggest (I'm coasting my wing), what would be the meaning?
    I really don't know. I thought "coast" because when someone is "coasting" (which is like going downhill on your bicycle without pedaling) one is drifting through life without changing direction. I have no idea where the "wing" thing could have come from.

Girino

English, USA
    DesertCat said:
    Googling turns up one reference that implies "aging not so gracefully" but others might interpret the sentence differently. Does that make any sense to other AE natives?
    In the link you provided, I read the usage to be more like "doing my job," or "I'm doing what I need to do" and it is indeed a hockey reference. Sort of like, "you skate your wing and I'll skate mine."

So, "just skating my wing" would mean, "I'm just doing my job, and not worriying about other things."

Never heard the expression before, but I like it!

misssmith

Italian
    Girino said:
    In the link you provided, I read the usage to be more like "doing my job," or "I'm doing what I need to do" and it is indeed a hockey reference. Sort of like, "you skate your wing and I'll skate mine."

So, "just skating my wing" would mean, "I'm just doing my job, and not worriying about other things."

Never heard the expression before, but I like it!
    Thank you, Girino, I think you hit the mark! And thanks to desertcat too, for providing the link! Ciao

DesertCat

inglese | English
    Yes, thanks for correcting me Girino. I was caffeine deficient this morning so my comprehension suffered. :D

< Previous | Next >