I'm sorry about (the death of) X; condolence

lrosa

English - Ireland
Hello

I'd like to know what would be the appropriate thing to say to someone who is grieving a deceased relative. In this case, the speaker is quite close to the grieving person, so perhaps the most formal set phrases would appear too distant. What it should express basically is "I'm sorry about X".

Thank you!

• Ocham

Japanese
    I'm afraid we have no appropriate thing to say in this situation. In the formal
    situations, we have a lot of fixed phrases, but in your case I can think of nothing
    but to say "I'm sorry" in your own language. Otherwise whatever you say would
    sound unnatural and distant.

set phrases:
    心(kokoro)からお悔(ku)やみを申(moushi)し上(a)げます。Please accept my sincerest condolence.
    ご冥福(meifuku)をお祈(ino)りいたします。May (s)he rest in peace!
    何(nan)と言(i)ったらいいか言葉(kotoba)が見(mi)つかりません。I can't find words to express my condolence.

Last edited:

rukiak

japanese
    It's the situatation when only you and the close friend are seeing, isn't it?
    And you don't know the deceased relative, do you?
    Then, if I were you, I would say like these:
    "daijoubu?"
    "taisetuna hito datta none."
    "samishiku narune."
    "genki dashite."

EddieCai

Chinese - Mandarin
    It's the situatation when only you and the close friend are seeing, isn't it?
    And you don't know the deceased relative, do you?
    Then, if I were you, I would say like these:
    "daijoubu?"
    "taisetuna hito datta none."
    "samishiku narune."
    "genki dashite."
    だいじょうぶ?

大切な人だったのね。

寂しくなるね。

元気だして。

Am I typing correctly?

lrosa

English - Ireland
    Thank you very much for your responses. It is good to know the formal set phrases, anyway.

The sentence is actually to be addressed to the widow of a man who has died, and by someone within the family. Maybe it's not so appropriate to express condolences within the family, since the speaker himself is also bereaved, but it should be something that basically expresses that the deceased was very important to this woman, and that the speaker feels sorry for her, as opposed to simply not saying anything about the matter.

< Previous | Next >