I'm sorry/I apologise

jdawg89

English - Australia
Hi,

I'd like to know the phrase for "I'm sorry" or "I apologise", but in the context of apologising for bad behaviour and such.

I was planning to use "Es tut mir leid" but I wasn't sure whether that was more along the lines of "sorry for your loss" or "sorry for dropping something".
I don't think "Entschuldigung" was the right word either, it seems a little too casual and not enough meaning behind it. The phrase I'm looking for is like a deep apology.

Thanks.

• Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    In English I would say: "I'm really sorry, and I truly want to apologise for what I did" Those two things have different meanings. "I am sorry" states that you sense pity or compassion for the other's situation and "I apologise" means that you feel responsible for the situation, admit your guilt and ask for remission. The same structure works in German:
    "Es tut mir wirklich Leid, und ich mich möchte mich (aufrichtig) dafür entschuldigen was ich getan habe."

Suilan

Germany (NRW)
    shorter:

"Es tut mir echt leid, und ich entschuldige mich für mein Verhalten."

echt -- colloquial "truly"
    leid -- lower case (they changed it back when they reformed the reform)
    Verhalten -- behaviour
    ich entschuldige mich -- I apologize (more straightforward than: ich möchte mich entschuldigen, in which case you don't really apologize but merely express your desire to do so ;))

Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    "I apologise" would be "Ich entschuldige mich". But If you want a short way to say a deep apology why not try "Verzeih mir bitte, für/dass..."-"Please forgive me for..."

berndf

German (Germany)
    "Verzeih mir bitte, für mein Verhalten im August"
    Sorry to be pedantic. But "verzeihen" is a transitive verb. If you are using it with a noun ("Verhalten") the comma and the "für" aren't necessary:
    "Verzeih(e) mir bitte mein Verhalten im August"

berndf

German (Germany)
    "Verzeih(e) mir bitte mein Verhalten im August" is at least better style. But you won't get tarred and feathered for using the other form.

< Previous | Next >