'I'm sorry I didn't' / My cousin apologized for ...[Reported speech]

criwave

Italian
Hi!
I have a doubt about reported speech in these 2 sentences:

1- 'I'm sorry I didn't come to your graduation' said my cousin.

My cousin apologized for not coming to my graduation

OR

my cousin apologized for not having come to my graduation

the first one it's what I would say without thinking about it for a second, but for the purpose of a grammar exercise what is the most correct? Are they both right, do they have a different meaning? Why shouldn't I use the second?

<< Second question has its own thread:
'It wasn't me' / Ali denied .... [reported speech] >>

thank you for helping!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • EStjarn

Spanish
    I think both versions are correct representations of the meaning of the direct speech sentence.

The first version - (i) My cousin apologized for not coming to my graduation - needs some context to be interpreted correctly. The prepositional phrase for not coming to my graduation is tenseless: it can refer to the future, present or past.

The second version - (ii) My cousin apologized for not having come to my graduation - does not need context in the same sense because it can only refer to the past.

bennymix

We are really dealing with two almost equivalent close paraphrases, as ES has said {or 'said' :) }. As I understand a 'reported speech' exercize, the point is to stick very closely to the original wording, but make adjustments; yielding, here, My cousin said that she was sorry she didn't come to my graduation.

For the purposes of a grammar exercize, the second would be my preference; in accordance with what ES said, it has more a 'past' feel.

Hi!
    I have a doubt about reported speech in these 2 sentences:

1- 'I'm sorry I didn't come to your graduation' said my cousin.

My cousin apologized for not coming to my graduation

OR

my cousin apologized for not having come to my graduation

the first one it's what I would say without thinking about it for a second, but for the purpose of a grammar exercise what is the most correct? Are they both right, do they have a different meaning? Why shouldn't I use the second?

<< Second question has its own thread:
    'It wasn't me' / Ali denied .... [reported speech] >>

thank you for helping!!! :)

< Previous | Next >