I'm sorry that I yelled at you.

• KnightMove

German/Austria
    I'm not sure whether the dispute about German spelling reform ended in "Es tut mir Leid" or "Es tut mir leid".

User1001

American English
    Ich bitte um Verzeihung, da ich dich angebrüllt habe.

Maybe it sounds a bit more formal?

KnightMove

German/Austria
    Ich bitte um Verzeihung, dass ich dich angebrüllt habe.

Maybe it sounds a bit more formal?
    "anbrüllen" is a stronger, more augmenting word than "anschreien", usually used by the target person, not the yelling one. In combination with "um Verzeihung bitten", this sentence would be very submissive. You can imagine an oppressed wife using it to demonstrate acceptance of her husband's rule and dominance.

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
    Hi,

As to word choice and connotations, I agree with KnightMoves comments.

But I personally don't think that Ich bitte um Verzeihung, dass ich dich angebrüllt habe. ist the better option grammar-wise.

In my opinion, the best option (using um Verzeihung bitten and grammatically speaking; as to word choice, see above) would be:
    Ich bitte um Verzeihung dafür, dass ich dich angebrüllt habe.

Although this certainly wouldn't be my first choice and the meaning would not be a direct translation of "I'm sorry that I yelled at you", I think that - at least grammatically speaking - it is perfectly correct so say
    Ich bitte (dich) um Verzeihung, da ich dich angebrüllt habe.
    (I ask your forgiveness, since/because I yelled at you).

Compare: (meaning more or less the same)
    Ich bitte (dich) um Verzeihung, weil ich dich angebrüllt habe. /
    Ich bitte (dich) um Verzeihung, denn ich habe dich angebrüllt. /
    Ich habe dich angebrüllt, also/dehalb bitte ich (dich) um Verzeihung. (..., so/thus..)

But the most natural-sounding version (at least to my ears) and thus the most likely one to be said in such a situation would probably be the one Encolpius gave in the first post:

Es tut mir Leid, dass ich dich angeschrien habe.

Last edited:

KnightMove

German/Austria
    Ok, you are right, that this is the correct and best version:

Ich bitte um Verzeihung dafür, dass ich dich angebrüllt habe.
    In spoken language, the "dafür" is usually omitted, that's why I did not think about it.

About the da/weil versions: I think they are definitely inferior. If you express what you ask forgiveness for, you use the "dafür, dass"-Konstruktion. da/weil only, if you express some other reason. For example:

"Ich bitte um Verzeihung, da es keinen Grund gab, dich anzuschreien."

Suilan

Germany (NRW)
    Unfortunately 'Leid' seems to be the correct form now.
    No. They changed it back to lower case. Except now, the infinitive is spelled as one word, leidtun (not leid tun as before 1996). But all the inflected forms are like before 1996.

< Previous | Next >