I'm still learning myself...

< Previous | Next >

bambina-in-nero

Italian
Hello,

I would like to say this: "I am not able to teach English to someone else, because I am still learning too"

is it possible to express the previous concept by sayiing: "I can't teach English, because I'm still learning myself": is it possible to use "myself" in this context?

Thank you very much

• bambina-in-nero

Italian
    Yes, majlo, I thought of this ambiguity too!

Another doubt is: can't the sentence "I'm still learning myself" mean that I am a self-thaught student?

bambina-in-nero

Italian
    Thanks majlo :rolleyes:

How do you make sure that there's no ambiguity in that sentence? Maybe by adding "by" when you are talking of "self-teaching"?
    My guess:
    "I'm still learning myself" means: "I'm still learning too"
    "I'm still learning by myself" : I'm still studying as a self-taught
    "

Andygc

British English
    There is absolutely no risk of "I can't teach English, because I'm still learning myself" being misunderstood by a native speaker.

If you said "I'm still learning myself" on its own, with no context (as if a sentence could be totally without context in a conversation), I doubt any native speaker would understand it to mean "I'm getting to know myself". The English version of the sentence with that meaning is "I'm still learning about myself".

"I'm still learning myself" (again alone and without context) could mean "I'm still teaching myself" if there was reason to believe that the speaker was either a foreign student who had yet to learn the difference between to learn and to teach, a poorly-educated native speaker, or a speaker of a dialect of English where to learn actually does mean to teach.

Adding by certainly clarifies what you mean - I'm learning by myself does indicate that you are self-taught (and does not mean that you are the only student on a course of study).

bambina-in-nero

Italian
    Thank you Andygc for making it so clear! Too many doubts here...:confused:
    just another question. do you prefer saying:

"I am still learning myself"
    "I myself am still learning" as fir suggests

ewie

English English
    I'm still learning myself is what you might call 'normal emphasis' on myself.
    I myself am still learning is what you might call 'extra emphasis' on myself ~ it's also rather more formal than the first:)

< Previous | Next >