I'm sure; surely; for sure

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hello, everyone.

Context: messaging with a friend living in a cold country; you're going to spend a few days with them

If you want to ask them what you should bring, and then you make a guess as a kind of joke, is either of the following OK?:

1. What should I bring with me? Surely a scarf and a pair of gloves, right?

2. What should I bring with me? A scarf and a pair of gloves for sure, right?

The whole sentence would be something like "I'm sure I should bring a scarf and a pair of gloves", but I'd like it to sound more casual and friendly.

Thank you in advance.

• lingobingo

English - England
    1. is not idiomatic. Surely in a question implies disbelief. It would work if you replaced it with e.g. “definitely”.

2. is better, but the “for sure” doesn’t seem to be a good fit either. Especially in BE.

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    1. is not idiomatic. Surely in a question implies disbelief. It would work if you replaced it with e.g. “definitely”.

2. is better, but the “for sure” doesn’t seem to be a good fit either. Especially in BE.
    Thanks, lingobingo :). Then, is the version with definitely something a (BrE) native like you might say in this context, or would you put it differently?:

i.e. Definitely a scarf and a pair of gloves, right?

It'd be interesting to know if AmE speakers might say the second version (i.e. for sure).

< Previous | Next >