I'm tired because I've been running

Poland91pl

Polish
Present perfect vs present perfect continuous <-----Original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Hello. As far as I’m concerned we can use both tenses when we refer to the actions that started in the past and is still on. However I noticed that the present perfect continuous is a more popular option here.
“ lately the actor has started something different. He ……….. and doing sculptures. A) has been painting B) is painting C ) has painted
Jim ………… in this company since 2009 - A) has been working B ) has worked

3. The present perfect continuous tense is used for the action that started in the past and is in progress now. Why do we say “ I’m tired because I’ve been running “ ? - In the moment of speaking the action is finished.

Last edited:
  • Why do we say “ I’m tired because I’ve been running “ ? - In the moment of speaking the action is finished.

We use the Present Perfect Continuous to talk about:

• past action recently-stopped
    • past action still-continuing

Present Perfect Continuous for past action just stopped​

We use the Present Perfect Continuous tense to talk about action that started in the past and stopped recently. There is usually a result now.

I'm tired because I've been running.
    pastpresentfuture
    !!!
    Recent actionResult now
    • I'm tired [now] because I've been running.
    • Why is the grass wet [now]? Has it been raining?
    • You don't understand [now] because you haven't been listening.
    EnglishClub, Present Perfect Continuos

Uncle Jack

British English
    There isn't really much difference between the present perfect simple and the present perfect continuous, and in many situations you can use either. With a an action verb and a time period, the simple aspect is unusual because of the focus on duration. However, the examples in post #2 don't use the present perfect because of a time period extending up to the present, but because the action has an effect in the present, and emphasising the result of an action is often done by using the simple aspect.
    Eg the grass is wet - has it rained?
    Or
    You don’t understand because you haven’t listened!
    These are both fine. However, if you want to emphasise duration - that the action continued over a period of time - then use the present perfect continuous.

Incidentally, the other example
    I'm tired because I've been running.​
    cannot use the present perfect simple because being tired is not really an effect of running itself (you can run without becoming tired), but running over a period of time. The period of time is important.