I'm trying to call u 'from so long.' [position?]

< Previous | Next >
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello nabster. :)

Please tell us which part of the sentence you are worried about. We don't check work for mistakes, but we will be happy to help if you give us a starting point.

Also, please tell us where you want to use this sentence. Perhaps, if this sentence is for a text message, such abbreviations as u for you and Plz for Please are acceptable. However, in this forum you should write out words such as you and please.

<< Everyone else, please refrain from answering until nabster has asked a specific question.

Cagey, moderator. >>

Last edited:

nabster

English and Hindi
    Hey cagey! Sorry for the mistake.but you are right.actually I was sending a message to my friend.I was trying to call him but call was not getting connected.so i wrote to him ' i m trying to call u from so long'..now I want to know that this sentence is grammatically correct or not.?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "So long" is fine. However, we usually use for rather than from when we are talking about the length of time: for so long. (Here, so long means 'a very long time.')

Also, we use don't use the present continuous (I'm trying) when we talk about a length of time that started in the past and continues to the present. Instead we use the present perfect continuous: I have been trying ....

The basic word order of your sentence is fine. With the changes suggested above, you could write:
    I have been trying to call you for so long.
    (You can change you to u, if you prefer to use text abbreviations. I would write you. ;))

Tazzler

American English
    The present perfect progressive is also needed: "I have been trying to call you for so long (perhaps more idiomatically: "for such a long time).

nabster

English and Hindi
    Thanks Parla,Cagey and Tazzler for your replies..now i got it..actually I was confused between for and from..thanks a lot

< Previous | Next >