I'm unable to decide for myself

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hello everyone, I got a sentence as "I am unable to decide for myself", according to its chinese translation, let me create a context:

O--Hello, Silver, would you like to come to my birthday party with your girlfriend?

S--Well, O, thanks for inviting me, but I am unable to decide for myself.

I am not certain about "I am unable to decide for myself" makes sense here, but according to its translation(maybe wrong), it means "I can't decide".

So does it make sense to you?

• owlman5

English-US
    I would take it to mean this: "I can't decide by myself. Somebody else must decide for me or reach a decision with me." This person was telling you that he'd have to get his girlfriend's approval before making a commitment.

patoupia

U.S. English
    "O--Hello, Silver, would you like to come to my birthday party with your girlfriend?

S--Well, O, thanks for inviting me, but I am unable to decide for myself.

I am not certain about "I am unable to decide for myself" makes sense here, but according to its translation (maybe wrong), it means "I can't decide".

So does it make sense to you?"
    It may make sense but what does S intend to say?

From the context, it sounds like S wants to say, 'I can't decide for both of us myself', meaning his girlfriend might have an opinion about going. Another way to say this would be 'I can only decide for myself'.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    According to its Chinese translation (I don't understand the English counterpart so I will usually resort to it), it means "I cannot decide whether we two will go to the party, (maybe she is busy or has some other factors for her not to come), but perhaps I can go to the party".

More clear?

< Previous | Next >