I'm waiting for you/I'll be waiting for you..

< Previous | Next >

jexrry_nam

Cantonese
Hi everyone here..

I've just heard someone said "I'll be waiting for you" in street,which makes me kind of confused.
Apparently,that's future continuous tense.According to the rules of future continuous,It says that "future continuous is used to indicate that a longer action in the future will be interrupted by a shorter action in the future" ,so I personally think that the sentence is suppose to be "I'll be waiting for you+an interruption in the future".But my English teacher told me that future continuous can be used as future simple like "going to/will",Is that true?

Could anyone here help me out?Thanks a lot

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Your teacher is right. There is no need for the future ongoing action to be interrupted by something else.

The problem with this "rule" you have seen is that it works better backwards: If you have a situation in which a longer action 1 is going on when a shorter action 2 occurs, then it is appropriate to use future continuous for action 1. This does not mean that this is the only type of situation in which future continuous can be used. In general, you can use the future continuous in the same way you use the present continuous, except of course that the ongoing action is in the future instead of the present.

A cobla band is playing outside the cathedral, and people are dancing a Sardana. If you come back at the same time tomorrow, they will be playing and dancing again.

jexrry_nam

Cantonese
    Thanks Edinburgher..

So there're two different ways to say somthing's ongoing,one's future continuous,one's present continuous?
    Is "I'll be waiting for you" exactly the same as "I'm waiting for you"??
    If you come back at the same time tomorrow, they will be playing and dancing again.
    The example you gave above is a typical future continuous,isn't it?"If you come back at the same time tomorrow" apparently is an interruption and at that specific time they will be playing something.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    So there're two different ways to say somthing's ongoing,one's future continuous,one's present continuous?
    More than that. There are continuous and non-continuous forms not only of present and future, but of simple past and past perfect forms as well:
    I wait; I am waiting; I will wait; I will be waiting; I waited; I was waiting; I have waited; I have been waiting.
    Is "I'll be waiting for you" exactly the same as "I'm waiting for you"??
    No, they are equivalents of each other;they are both continuous, but one is future, one is present.
    If you come back at the same time tomorrow, they will be playing and dancing again.
    The example you gave above is a typical future continuous,isn't it?"If you come back at the same time tomorrow" apparently is an interruption and at that specific time they will be playing something.
    I intended this to be an example of a typical future continuous without any interruption being involved. The "If you come back at the same time tomorrow" was just to set the scene, it was to tell you that, just like today, tomorrow at about the same time there will be a prolonged episode of playing and dancing going on continuously, and if you come then, you will be able to experience it. I did not mean to imply that your arrival would interrupt things - it would be a good idea to arrive before they start, then you can experience all of it.

< Previous | Next >