I'm waiting/I'll be waiting

juliamay2

Greek
Can we use present continuous instead of future in the sentence below since it's a future arrangement?
"I'm waiting for you at 11.30." Instead of "I'll be waiting for you at 11.30."

• Pauline Meryle

English UK
    It's the present continuous you need here.

"I'm waiting for you at 11.30" would only make sense if, say, it was exactly 11.30 and you were texting the other person because they were late.

juliamay2

Greek
    Yes I thought so. However according to grammarbooks we can use present continuous for future arrangements and this is a future arrangement. That's why I was wondering if we can use both structures.

rhitagawr

British English
    It's the present continuous you need here.

"I'm waiting for you at 11.30" would only make sense if, say, it was exactly 11.30 and you were texting the other person because they were late.
    Did you make a typo, Pauline? I'd say only the future continuous works here. You can say I'm coming tomorrow or I'll be coming tomorrow - I'll be there tomorrow. But with I'll be waiting for you at 11:30, there's the idea that I'll start to wait before 11:30. There isn't the idea that I'll start to come.
    Juliamay2's question raises some subtle points. Verbs such as wait, stand, lie etc., which denote staying in the same place, often behave differently from other verbs. They're more likely to take the perfect continuous, for example - I've been waiting here for hours. Perhaps this is one such instance.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >