I'm watching Johnny Depp movies

< Previous | Next >

Ptak

Rußland
Hello everyone,

How can I say if I mean that I'm watching movies where Johnny Depp plays? In Russian, we can say "I'm watching movies with Johnny Depp". Is it ok also in English? Doesn't it mean I'm watching movies together with Johnny Depp? :)
How do you say usually:
I'm watching movies with Johnny Depp
I'm watching movies where Johnny Depp plays
I'm watching Johnny Depp movies

Thanks in advance!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello everyone,

How can I say if I mean that I'm watching movies where Johnny Depp plays? In Russian, we can say "I'm watching movies with Johnny Depp". Is it ok also in English? Doesn't it mean I'm watching movies together with Johnny Depp? :)
    How do you say usually:
    I'm watching movies with Johnny Depp - You and Johnny are watching movies together
    I'm watching movies where Johnny Depp plays :cross:
    I'm watching Johnny Depp movies :tick:

Thanks in advance!
    You could say "I'm watching movies in which Johnny Depp stars" but although this is grammatically correct, it is not idiomatic.

mtmjr

English (US)
    With the first sentence, although common sense would indicate that you are not watching them in Johnny Depp's company, you could add "in them" to stress this fact:

I'm watching movies with Johnny Depp (in them).

However, I do prefer "Johnny Depp movies".

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    Hello.

"I'm watching Johnny Depp movies."
    This means that the speaker is watching more than one movie that Johnny Deppstars in, doesn't it?

1) She saw a Leonardo DiCaprio movie.
    2) She saw a Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet movie.
    The first sounds natural, doesn't it?
    What about the second? Would it be better to say "She saw a movie that Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet star in"?

mtmjr

English (US)
    The second sentence sounds fine to me. Sometimes we say:

I saw a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

This expresses the same meaning. As a side note, your last example is technically grammatically incorrect (although commonly used); it should read:

"She saw a movie in which Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet star."

< Previous | Next >