I'm welcomed/welcome back to town

Caesats

Chinese
Hi everyone
I'm welcomed back to town
I'm welcome back to town
What are the differences? Especially "back to town",what do"back "and "back to town"modify?

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The main difference is that "I'm welcome back to town" is not grammatically correct. Note that "to welcome back" is a phrasal verb, meaning to greet the return of someone. "to town" qualifies "welcome back", by specifying where "I" am returning to.

Caesats

Chinese
    The main difference is that "I'm welcome back to town" is not grammatically correct. Note that "to welcome back" is a phrasal verb, meaning to greet the return of someone. "to town" qualifies "welcome back", by specifying where "I" am returning to.
    Do these mean "someone welcomes me back to town",so the passive is"I'm welcomed back to town"?
    However I feel when"I 'm welcome to town"is added"back"modifying "welcome",it's fine
    By the way,I also a sentence in English news"Bolivian President Evo Morales has said that US anti-drug agents are not welcome back in his country"

Antoine Meyer

English - Canada
    Hi everyone
    I'm welcomed back to town
    I'm welcome back to town
    What are the differences? Especially "back to town",what do"back "and "back to town"modify?
    "I'm welcomed" means that someone has welcomed a person or group of people, whereas "I'm welcome" is more general and means that in general, people are welcoming towards someone.
    "Back to town" modifies "welcomed."

Last edited:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Do these mean "someone welcomes me back to town",so the passive is"I'm welcomed back to town"?
    "I'm welcomed back to town" means this, and it is the passive, correct.

However I feel when"I 'm welcome to town"is added"back"modifying "welcome",it's fine
    No, as I previously said, it is not fine, it is incorrect.

By the way,I also a sentence in English news"Bolivian President Evo Morales has said that US anti-drug agents are not welcome back in his country"
    Could this by any chance be why you thought "I'm welcome back" is fine? You are mistaken. Here "welcome back" is an adjectival phrase, not a verb. Since the verb is "to be"+adjective, then the preposition for "country" is used, which is "in".
    You could use this construct for your original example :
    I'm welcome back in town.
    Note that when using "to welcome back" as a verb, you use "to" and not "in".

"I'm welcomed" means that someone has welcomed a person or group of people, whereas "I'm welcome" is more general and means that in general, people are welcoming towards someone.
    This is incorrect. "to be welcomed" means that someone is actively greeting you. "to be welcome" means that people are positively disposed towards you, regardless of whether anybody actively greets you.

Caesats

Chinese
    "I'm welcomed back to town" means this, and it is the passive, correct.

No, as I previously said, it is not fine, it is incorrect.

Could this by any chance be why you thought "I'm welcome back" is fine? You are mistaken. Here "welcome back" is an adjectival phrase, not a verb. Since the verb is "to be"+adjective, then the preposition for "country" is used, which is "in".
    You could use this construct for your original example :
    I'm welcome back in town.
    Note that when using "to welcome back" as a verb, you use "to" and not "in"
    "I'm welcomed into town""I'm welcome into town",I'm sure the former one is correct,but as for the latter one,I'm not sure,because I saw a sentence like that in English news:"Groups and individuals who really believe in democracy should be welcome into that process, " she said.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    "I'm welcomed into town":tick:"I'm welcome into town":cross:,I'm sure the former one is correct,but as for the latter one,I'm not sure,because I saw a sentence like that in English news:"Groups and individuals who really believe in democracy should be welcome into that process, " she said.
    If that's what the quote said it is a mistake - it should be "welcomed".

< Previous | Next >