image you see when you look at the sun

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Egoexpress, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. Egoexpress

    Egoexpress Senior Member

    Hungary, Hungarian
    Hey there,

    How would you describe the image you see when you look into the sun or you look at dazzling light or when you feel dizzy and you're about to faint.

  2. rmawhorter Member

    British Columbia, Canada
    English - Canada
    I don't think that I would use the same word for both situations. In the second situation I would probably say that I was dazed. I'm not sure about the first situation.
  3. bibliolept

    bibliolept Senior Member

    Northern California
    AE, Español
    I've heard "see spots in front of your eyes."

    If you press your fists against your eyes and see lights, those are referred to as phosphenes. (You can find out more if you research Entoptics.)
  4. hotpocket

    hotpocket Senior Member

    Douarnenez dans le Finistère
    American English / Boston
    When you're about the faint you see stars. Besides being temporarily blinded, I don't know what you would say for the first two cases...a huge glare??? Mmmm...dunno. Sorry.
  5. 89ten Member

    I’d say you could say reeling, like becoming dumbfounded by looking straight into the sun; you are slowly becoming light headed and sort of reeling off to coma.
  6. GreenWhiteBlue

    GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

    The City of New York
    USA - English
    If one looks at the sun directly, one will usually see nothing, but will be blinded instead.
  7. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    A wee bit more on phosphenes here, Ego.
    Like RMA, I would use different words for different situations:
    staring into the sun or a dazzling light: I was dazzled (or as GWB rightly points out) I was blinded
    just about to faint: I saw stars
  8. Egoexpress

    Egoexpress Senior Member

    Hungary, Hungarian
    Thank you!

Share This Page