river

U.S. English
Is there a word for "seeing an image on something." For example, seeing the face of Jesus on the shell of a turtle or seeing the face of the Virgin Mary on a grilled cheese?

• river

U.S. English
    Good guess, Cab. But I don't think they are apparitions.

Consider something more normal, DC, like seeing images in the clouds (a pig, a duck, a face. . .) or a man in the moon.

Maybe "illusions"?

MissFit

Apparitions, manifestations, and illusions are all nouns. If you are looking for a single-word verb that means the seeing of one of these images, I think you'll come up empty-handed. Unless the image is an hallucination, then you could use hallucinating.

JamesM

How about "envision"? "She envisioned the face of Jesus in the turtle shell." Hmm... not great, but possible. That seems to imply that she saw it by force of deliberate imagination. "She perceived the face of Jesus..." sounds like she saw something that was actually there and she finally saw it. "The face of Jesus appeared to her in the turtle shell" would be a way to say it that leaves the existence of the apparition up to the judgment of the reader.

I am so tempted to reply...madness, but you could try manifestation
    Oh my God, I'm laughing so hard I'm nearly crying. Mainly because I completely agree.

well the face of jesus wouldn't actually be on a grilled cheese sandwich. That couldn't possibly happen. But then I'm not religious, so who am I to say that that would never happen? I sure as heck wouldn't say I saw the face of jesus in a grilled cheese. People would think I was mad! Or maybe that I was possessed because that definitely isn't me.

She thought she saw the face of jesus on a grilled cheese sandwich.

Maybe the burn marks on the bread looked the face of jesus.

I honestly have no idea.

river

U.S. English
    Eureka! Pareidolia (payr.eye.DOH.lee.uh) n. The erroneous or fanciful perception of a pattern or meaning in something that is actually ambiguous or random.