Imagination

student90

chinese
Hello folks,

I am practising English. What I am looking for is a native expression used when we talk about a riddiculous imagination.

For instance: "I imagine I would be as smart as Einstein one day." It does not sound quite native, does it? Please let me know if can I improve it or not?

I am truly appreciated for your help.

Last edited:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome!

What are you trying to say exactly? Is the context conversation or something more formal?

If I were bragging of a fanciful imagination, I might say something such as "I can [even] imagine being as smart as Einstein."

If I were hyperbolically pondering my own future, I might say "I imagine that I will one day be as smart as Einstein."

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Or "I imagine that I could be as smart as Einstein one day." -> I think that it is possible that one day I could be as smart as Einstein.

student90

chinese
    Hello,

Thank you a lot for your replies. They really help me.

Just to clarify my ideas a bit more, I am trying to express a self-mocking irony. For instance, I want to tell a joke to my friends while we are watching Iron Man movie: "I sometimes imagine that I would be as tough as Iron Man". I am pretty sure that it will never happen, yet it is funny to fancy my chances!

I feel that such an expression is not very natural (or native) so I hope to know if there is a possibility to improve it.

Kindly.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Hello student90, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

I think 'sometimes, in my wildest dreams, I imagine ... ' might be what you're looking for.

Let's see what others say. :)

Myridon

English - US
    while we are watching Iron Man movie: "I sometimes imagine that I would be as tough as Iron Man". I am pretty sure that it will never happen, yet it is funny to fancy my chances!
    "I sometimes imagine that I am as tough as Iron Man."
    In your imagination, you can be it immediately. You don't look at a chicken and imagine that you are an egg that could become a chicken.
    I think you may be confusing "I imagine..." with "I wish..."
    "I sometimes wish I could be as tough as Iron Man."
    "I sometimes wish I were as tough as Iron Man."

< Previous | Next >