< Previous | Next >

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

Family under the microscope

Sample sentences:

1. Imagine you were unable to retain facts from more than 30 seconds ago. Suppose I was to wait a minute after you had finished this article and give you a test on its contents. How do you think it would make you feel to realise that, not only could you not recall a single fact in the article, you did not even know you had read it?

2. Suppose you were unable to retain facts from more than 30 seconds ago. Imagine I was to wait a minute after you had finished this article and give you a test on its contents. How do you think it would make you feel to realise that, not only could you not recall a single fact in the article, you did not even know you had read it?

3. If you were unable to retain facts from more than 30 seconds ago, and if I was to wait a minute after you had finished this article and give you a test on its contents. How do you think it would make you feel to realise that, not only could you not recall a single fact in the article, you did not even know you had read it?

Question:

Sentence #1 is the sentence from the source. I made up sentences #2 and #3. Is it correct to use the bolded words "imagine" and "suppose" the way they are used in sentences #1 and #2? If so, is the meaning of sentence #3 equivalent to that of sentences #1 and #2?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• lingobingo

English - England
    1 is the best/most logical version, although it (and the others) would be greatly improved by the use of the subjunctive: “Suppose I were to wait a minute…”. I would only use this version.

In 3, the first “sentence” is not even a sentence – it has no main clause.

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks for the response, lingobingo.
    In 3, the first “sentence” is not even a sentence – it has no main clause.
    Sentence #3 needs a comma that separates the main and conditional clauses:

3. If you were unable to retain facts from more than 30 seconds ago, and if I were to wait a minute after you had finished this article and give you a test on its contents, then how do you think it would make you feel to realise that, not only could you not recall a single fact in the article, you did not even know you had read it?

< Previous | Next >