immagina la tua anima gemella, per qualche istante connettiti con lei

oloccina

italian
Hello everyone,

I am not sure how to translate from italian to english the third person neutral in this phrase

"immagina la tua anima gemella, per qualche istante connettiti con lei"

is it correct to use "them", like this (since it's not feminine nor masculine) ?

"imagine your soulmate, For some moments connect with them"

Thank you

Devi inserire solo la frase ORIGINALE nel titolo del thread, non la tua domanda
Come devo scegliere i titoli delle discussioni?

• Blackman

Italiano/Sardo
    I would use "them" to translate "lei" here. Your "soulmate" is usually a person.
    You would not tell someone to connect with "it".
    You may wish to change the punctuation of your sentence(s).
    Fair enough John, but he/she's still singular. How can you accord soulmate to them?
    Let's pretend we're talking to an audience:
    Visualize your (respective) soulmates and just for a moment connect with them, as YLR said.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Singular they - Wikipedia

Singular they is the use in English of the pronoun they or its inflected or derivative forms, them, their, theirs, and themselves (or themself), as an epicene (gender-neutral) singular pronoun. It typically occurs with an unspecified antecedent, as in sentences such as:

• "Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Could you please let them know where they can get it?"[1]
    • "The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."[2]
    • "But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."[2]

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Wow, sembra fossi l'unico a non saperlo. Grazie, non si finisce mai d'imparare non è solo un modo di dire...
    Keep in mind, though, that a fair number of people still consider the singular "they" an error in formal, written AE (not BE). I'm not talking, of course, about "they" as a pronoun of choice for a person of non-binary gender, but rather constructions like "the patient . . . they" or "a journalist . . . their." Nearly everybody says this, and I imagine the BE usage will eventually take over in formal AE writing as well, but we're not there yet. :)

< Previous | Next >