immediate, ecstatic, and penetrating modes of living

< Previous | Next >

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi,
I know the meaning of words in "immediate, ecstatic, and penetrating modes of living" but it confuses me when the author uses "immediate, ecstatic, and penetrating" for "modes of living". I don't know for example what "immediate modes of living" or "ecstatic modes of living" or "penetrating modes of living" mean. I don't know what she means by these phrases.

“It’s no wonder so many of us were looking for meaning and purpose wherever we could find them. As I put it in my Wellesley graduation speech, we were “searching for more immediate, ecstatic, and penetrating modes of living.”

Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• lingobingo

English - England
    What you didn’t add is that she goes on to say: “(Yes I’m aware of how idealistic that sounds, but that’s how we talked!)”

So she’s rather answered your question for you — those adjectives dated back to her youthful idealism, when she was advocating living life to the full, putting one’s utmost into it to get the utmost out of it.

lingobingo

English - England
    Immediate could mean spontaneous — going ahead with things without stopping to think too hard about them first.

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
    So why she says "idealistic"? Besides, It cannot be possible, because she was giving a speech at a college. It is totally inappropriate to use sexual references in these speeches. Am I right?

lingobingo

English - England
    She was giving a speech at a college, but in 1969, as one of the students (Student Speech). I don’t know exactly what she meant by an ecstatic and penetrating way of life/mode of living. But those were unusual adjectives to use, and it’s not impossible that the innuendo was intentional, if only as a way of keeping the attention of her audience.

< Previous | Next >