Impassioned

< Previous | Next >

OhMan

English, AUS
What is the difference between impassioned and passionate? I'm not too clear on the difference, and a quick search on the internet seems to say that it is synonymous with passionate.

Also I encountered this word used against me in a negative context: "you seem just a tad impassioned", and I wasn't aware that being passionate was a negative trait.

I hope you folks can help me clear up my confusion!

Thanks in advance,
OhMan.

• ><FISH'>

British English
    Impassioned - filled with passion. "I am passionate about English" = "I am impassioned with English". It's basically the same word in different ways.

Perhaps the phrase you quoted meant more infatuation or obsession, which is often connected to passion.

owlman5

English-US
    What is the difference between impassioned and passionate? I'm not too clear on the difference, and a quick search on the internet seems to say that it is synonymous with passionate.

Also I encountered this word used against me in a negative context: "you seem just a tad impassioned", and I wasn't aware that being passionate was a negative trait.

I hope you folks can help me clear up my confusion!

Thanks in advance,
    OhMan.
    "You seem just a tad impassioned"---This means that you seem too emotional or perhaps angry when talking about a subject.

< Previous | Next >