imperfecto/imperfetto

< Previous | Next >

Kris

Norway-norwegian, english, spanish, french, italian
HI!
I think my question belongs here?
It is for those who are fluent in Spanish as well as Italian. I speak both languages myself, but now that I am teaching, I need to know things I never think about when I speak... Are the rules for when to use Spanish Indefinido vs. Imperfecto the same as the rules for when to use Italian Passato prossimo vs. Imperfetto?
Ex.
Estábamos comiendo cuando llegó Luisa
Stavamo mangiando quando è arrivata Luisa

Is it always the case that they coincide, or are there exceptions?
I would be very grateful for an answer...
Ciao!

• DDT

Italy - Italian
    Kris,

I just split your post. Let me remind you it is better to post different requests in different threads

DDT

Leopold

España - Español
    Hi Kris. As DDT said you should start a new thread when you have a new question not related to any other thread. For inquiries It-Sp this is the right forum. :)

Now, your doubt.
    The use of Imperfecto/Imperfetto is the same in all the cases I can think of. But the use of Indefinido/Prossimo is not the same.

For the Italian passato prossimo in Spanish we use Indefinido o Pretérito Perfecto Simple. But I guess you already know that:

Non l'ho visto -> No lo he visto/No lo vi (depending on the time it happened, if the period of time is finished you should use the second one).

In written Italian the use is the same as in Spanish generally. But there may be exceptions because of the influence of the spoken tongue.

Regards,
    Leo

Kris said:
    HI!
    It is for those who are fluent in Spanish as well as Italian. I speak both languages myself, but now that I am teaching, I need to know things I never think about when I speak... Are the rules for when to use Spanish Indefinido vs. Imperfecto the same as the rules for when to use Italian Passato prossimo vs. Imperfetto?
    Ex.

Ciao!

claudine2006

Italy Italian
    Kris said:
    HI!
    Ex.

Ciao!
    En realidad en italiano se usa también el passato remoto. La regla gramatical es la misma que en español (es decir, se usa cuando la acción se ha concluido y no tiene conexión con el presente) pero en la lengua hablada, sobre todo en el norte de Italia, se usa (y a veces de manera incorrecta) el passato prossimo.

< Previous | Next >