Imperial units

BeckyTrans

Spain - Spanish
Hi everyone!
I have a question about the imperial units. I'd like to know what symbol you have to indicate inches.
I think you use " to indicate the inches. However, I have a (ver bad written) english text which indicates the dimensions of a motorbike with 16' 20' and 26'. See? They use ' instead of ". Is that wrong? Or is there another unit with that symbol?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Byeee.

Please, correct me if I've made any mistake (or even if I was too formal :p).

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is a bit confusing.
    Certainly the measurement in feet and inches could be written as something like 6' 8" for six feet eight inches. This should not be written as 6' 8'.

But you have quoted 16' 20' - which could not be a measurement in feet and inches because there are only 12 inches in a foot.
    Apart from that, I am having trouble imagining a motorbike that is 16 feet long. It is certainly not a normal road bike.

There is something seroiusly wrong with your text.

Wobby

English [England]
    Hi everyone!
    I have a question about the imperial units. I'd like to know what symbol you use to represent inches.
    I think you use " to represent the inches. However, I have a (very badly written) English text which gives the dimensions of a motorbike to be 16', 20' and 26'. See? They use ' instead of ". Is that wrong? Or is there another unit with that symbol?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Byeee.

Please, correct me if I've made any mistake (or even if I was too formal :p).
    ' is the symbol for feet. " is the symbol for inches. :D

I have just made a few minor amendments, at your request. I've left it as informal speech, given that was your intention. ;)

EDIT: Just read panjadrum's post and realised that I hadn't really stopped to think about how realistic the measurements were - I just naturally assumed they referred to width, height and length (that, and I've always used SI units). Maybe 16'20" high, and 26' long? Even then, it sounds seriously wrong...

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The symbol ' means feet and " means inches.

An inch = 2.54 cm. There are 12 inches in a foot.

The man was 6'2" tall = The man was 6 feet (plus) 2 inches tall.

The rug is 9' x 12' = the rug is 9 feet by 12 feet.

Children who less than 44" tall may ride the bus for free = Children who are less than 44 inches tall may ride the bus for free.

BeckyTrans

Spain - Spanish
    Thanks a lot to you all.
    Thanks, Wobby, for your help :):):) That's what I need to improve my English ;)

The point is that this text is reaaaally... I don't even know how to describe it!!! It's horrible and it's getting out of my nerves!!!!!!!

Yep, these are the dimensions... or at least, that's what I think, 'cause there's nothing else (not even a single word) that tells what this means... Any other idea?

BeckyTrans

Spain - Spanish
    Hi ewie. I think they are of the whole bike, because it's followed by a chart with the main specifications of it.

Wobby

English [England]
    Well, I was just talking to someone else about this, and I think they've got it. It is meant to give the measurements in inches and not in feet (hence 16", 20" and 26"), and they indicate the unextended height of the seat of the motorbike. The 3 numbers are not dimensions of the same motorike, rather the model comes in those 3 different heights. Well, maybe... :)

BeckyTrans

Spain - Spanish
    Wobby, if that's the solution... I LOVE YOU!!!!
    I mean, in this IM there are some indications about some features of 7 different types of bikes, 7 different models. So it could be possible to mean what you said before!

< Previous | Next >