[impetuous republican] answers

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 25

Quotation: "I smiled as I unfolded it (the delicate wedding-dress), and devised how I would tease you about your aristocratic tastes, and your efforts to masque your plebeian bride in the attributes of a peeress. I thought how I would carry down to you the square of unembroidered blond I had myself prepared as a covering for my low-born head, and ask if that was not good enough for a woman who could bring her husband neither fortune, beauty, nor connections. I saw plainly how you would look; and heard your impetuous republican answers, and your haughty disavowal of any necessity on your part to augment your wealth, or elevate your standing, by marrying either a purse or a coronet.”
===
Hi everyone! I don't understand "impetuous republican answers" here. What does it mean? :confused:

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In
    "I smiled as I unfolded it (the delicate wedding-dress), and devised how I would tease you about your aristocratic tastes, and your efforts to masque your plebeian bride in the attributes of a peeress."
    the bolded words are reference to the French Revolution in which the republicans overthrew the aristocracy.

Great Britain, at the time that the story is set (late 18th/early 19th century), saw the French Revolution, which lasted from 1789 until 1799, as a bad thing and saw the logic of the French republicans as wrong, dangerously revolutionary, and rebellious: and thus " heard your impetuous republican answers," as mocking Jane -> your answers that are impetuous (not fully considered) republican (of the sort that cruelly wishes to overthrow the established social order.)

< Previous | Next >