impianto ad aula

anglomania1

UK English
Hi everyone,
I'm translating an article about an ex-church and the renovations they are currently doing.
The sentence:
L'attuale intervento di ristrutturazione ha riportato la chiesa al suo originale impianto ad aula, che nel tempo era andato perduto e risultava quasi interamente compromesso dal successivo utilizzo abitativo del fabbricato.

I get that impianto is the layout, but "ad aula"?? What exactly does that mean?
Thanks for any help,
anglo

• anglomania1

UK English
    Hi, anglomania1
    I've found the Wikipedia italian definition of aula (chiesa).
    I think it may help you put the whole expression in context. :)

Edit: see also WR Forum: aula (architettura chiesa)
    Thanks Starless74 - very interesting!
    So it could be nave or main body of the church.
    I'm not sure what they mean by "al suo originale impianto ad aula" - is it "it has been taken back to its original layout?" "It's original nave/main body layout"??
    Not sure that makes much sense really - if I'd written it myself in English I'd have just said "taken back to its original layout" - being a church, it must be obvious it's a kind of "church" layout.
    Also Nave/main body of the church are parts of a church not a layout.
    It's a bit like saying they've taken the room back to its original room layout!!

I think I might be missing the point here!
    Anglo

PS there is no context really, apart from what I said above - thecurrent renovations of this former church have taken it back to its original layout "ad aula"
    This is the whole sentence in Italian, if it helps!!
    L'attuale intervento di ristrutturazione ha riportato la chiesa al suo originale impianto ad aula, che nel tempo
    era andato perduto e risultava quasi interamente compromesso dal successivo utilizzo abitativo del fabbricato.
    Questo ha permesso di procedere al restauro dei dipinti situati nell'area del presbiterio, in particolare nel
    catino absidale, che appariva confinato di là di una parete divisoria e relegato a ricovero per attrezzi e animali.

Last edited:

anglomania1

UK English
    "Unique nave plan"?
    Hi Mary49 :)
    Yes, that could work - it's definitely the meaning!
    I suppose I wasn't sure what they meant exactly by "nave plan" It sounds a bit odd, because surely most Christian churches follow more or less the same layout and also, the nave is just a part, how can it be a plan/Layout?
    But I think I'll go for your suggestion, it's the best I've got!!

Life on Sumner

English US
    In questo caso penso che bisogni tradurre l'idea invece delle parole. Direi "The current reconstruction has returned the nave of the church to its original condition." Forse, se conoscessi la storia della stessa chiesa e degli scopi precisi dell'attuale ricostruzione, renderei altrimenti la frase.

anglomania1

UK English
    In questo caso penso che bisogni tradurre l'idea invece delle parole. Direi "The current reconstruction has returned the nave of the church to its original condition." Forse, se conoscessi la storia della stessa chiesa e degli scopi precisi dell'attuale ricostruzione, renderei altrimenti la frase.
    That's a good idea!
    Unfortunately when translating you get what you're given and nothing more! We hope the text will be clear...but it rarely is!
    Thanks for the good suggestion :)

Life on Sumner

English US
    That's a good idea!
    Unfortunately when translating you get what you're given and nothing more! We hope the text will be clear...but it rarely is!
    Thanks for the good suggestion :)
    So true. At the very least, translating the idea in colloquial terms produces a good-sounding result.

< Previous | Next >