Implicate in crime

alexm19

Russian
Hi!

It is difficult for me to grab the meaning of 'implicate', for instance in this sentence:

"The attempts to implicate him in corrupt transactions were not successful"

I have come across different translations and explanations and now I am puzzled because it seems that it is an obscure sentence. It could mean

1. The attempts to INVOLVE him in corrupt transactions. So, we do not know whether he is guilty of doing smth with corrupt transactions and we simply try bring him into this matter.

2. The attempts to REVEAL that he had something to do with corrupt transactions. We knew that he was trying to conceal his crime, and we failed to expose it.

Which one is the real meaning of 'implicate' ?

Thank you!

• Barque

Tamil
    Your option 2. "To implicate someone in a crime" means to show or demonstrate that someone was involved in a crime, or played a part in a crime.

Edit - There is an earlier thread on the word: implicate/involve

alexm19

Russian
    Thank you, guys for the responses

Unfortunately, it is not still clear as I keep running into sentences where 'show or demonstrate' do not work

If we show or demonstrate that someone is involved in a crime than we believe it is true.

But for example, in the sentence:

"The lawyers accuse Headley of lying to implicate Rana in order to save his wife as well as his own life."

If I am right, according to the definition it can be rephrased like this:
    "The lawyers accuse Headley of lying to demonstrate that Rana is guilty in order to save his wife as well as his own life."

(and it is quiet different from: "The lawyers accuse Headley of lying that Rana is guilty in order to save his wife as well as his own life.")

The lawyers are pretty sure that Rana is not involved. They think that Headley is lying to save his life.
    So from their point of view Rana is innocent and nobody can demonstrate that she is guilty.

I can not understand this.. :(

Barque

Tamil
    If I am right, according to the definition it can be rephrased like this:
    "The lawyers accuse Headley of lying to demonstrate that Rana is guilty in order to save his wife as well as his own life."
    That's close but I would word it as: The lawyers accuse Headley of lying to make it look as if demonstrate thatRana is guilty in order to save his wife as well as his own life.

(and it is quiet quite different from: "The lawyers accuse Headley of lying that Rana is guilty in order to save his wife as well as his own life.")
    It could be different but not necessarily. It could mean that Headley is making a false statement that Rana is guilty, to implicate Rana. Or it could mean Headley is lying about something else because he knows that the result of the lie will lead to a conclusion that Rana is guilty.

< Previous | Next >