Impossibility impissibolity mother - really a hero

horace.mik

Russian and Italian - bilingual
I hope there's someone who could help me in understanding of a verse of a Black Sabbath song.
This is the refrain taken from the ''Zero the Hero'' lyrics:

''What you gonna be, what you gonna be, brother - Zero the hero
Don't you wanna be, don't you wanna be, brother - Zero the hero
When you gonna be, when you gonna be, brother - Zero the hero
Impossibility, impissibolity, mother - really a hero''

Now, what does ''impissibolity'' mean? I think the vowels 'o' and 'i' may be inverted for making the word double entendre, or just to respect the metrics and the musicality, or to f**k us simply around. In any case I'm not able to realize the sense of the last line. (Maybe I got to report all the song text to understand better)
Thanks for your upcoming opinions

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    impissibolity is a nonce word, i.e. it has been invented for the occasion.

Your idea that "the vowels 'o' and 'e' may be inverted for making the word double entendre," is correct. (Or as we grammarians say, "It is there to f*ck non-native speakers around.")

horace.mik

Thank you, PaulQ. The vowels are 'o' and 'i', I was mistaken in writing. Anyway I can't get a sense of the last line

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    It reminds me of "Impossibility, schmimpossibility!" which is a fun way to say "To hell with impossibility!" So the idea I get is that it doesn't matter that he's a zero (which would suggest that he could never be a hero); the speaker is exhorting him to become a real hero regardless of the odds against him.

If you could give some context about what the song is about and who this "brother" is​, we could perhaps give better answers.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Here's a guess:

''What you gonna be, what you gonna be, brother - Zero the hero -> What is your ambition my friend? What is your ambition my friend? - It seems to me that you will be/are worthless.
    Don't you wanna be, don't you wanna be, brother - Zero the hero -> Have you no ambition? Have you really no ambition? -It seems to me that you will be/are worthless.
    When you gonna be, when you gonna be, brother - Zero the hero -> Have you any time-scale for your plans for advancement? Have you any time-scale for your plans for advancement? -It seems to me that you will be/are worthless.
    Impossibility, impissibolity, mother - really a hero'' -> I think that, for you, advancement is impossible. Absolutely and frustratingly impossible. Do you hear what I am saying, motherfucker*? I ironically call you a hero.

*a colloquial term of endearment - to be used cautiously or, better yet, never. :D

horace.mik

I'm afraid the song, in general, couldn't help to understand that verse. ''Brother'' is an appellation by which the singer (Ian Gillan) directly addressed to this failed hero.

horace.mik

Impossibility, impissibolity, mother - really a hero'' -> I think that, for you, advancement is impossible. Absolutely and frustratingly impossible. Do you hear what I am saying, motherfucker*? I ironically call you a hero.

*a colloquial term of endearment - to be used cautiously or, better yet, never. :D
    I'd say that's a great guess:thumbsup: Thank you

< Previous | Next >