impression/feeling of cleanliness

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please take a look at these sentences I've just made up.

1. The room gives the impression of cleanliness.
2. The room gives the feeling of cleanliness.
3. The room feels clean.

Do 1 and 2 sound idiomatic and mean the same as 3?

Thanks

• hjr.lm7mudia.hntati

english-USA
    In my opinion, 1 and 2 don't sound idiomatic while 3 definitely does. However, I'd imagine one would be much more likely to say "the room looks clean" rather than "the room feels clean" or perhaps "the room feels nice and clean."

I'm just basing those examples on what I think you're more likely to hear in daily speech.

For number 2 (if you really had to word it using that structure) I'd change it to:
    "The room gives off a feeling of cleanliness" to make it sound less "off."

I'd say that there is nothing wrong with 1, it just sounds a bit more "proper" than 2 and 3.

I found an example online using the same wording as 1:

"On the whole the room gives an impression of bareness, but also an impression of cleanliness and neatness."

As for all 3 sentences, they all suggest the same meaning.

Last edited:

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you very much for the very helpful answer, hjr-lm7mudia-hntati. Good to learn the version with "off".
    I'm also wondering if it's possible to reverse the structure of sentences 1 and 2.
    3a below is a slightly modified version of 3, and I reversed the sentence to make 3b.

3a. The room feels/looks clean because of the beautiful carpet.
    3b. The beautiful carpet makes the room feel/look clean.

Would "The beautiful carpet gives the room an impression/a feeling of cleanliness" work? I think "impression" doesn't work in this case.

hjr.lm7mudia.hntati

english-USA
    You can definitely reverse them and get the same meaning. Both 3a and 3b sound good but 3a sounds really "slow" and stretched out.

For "The beautiful carpet gives the room an impression/a feeling of cleanliness" I agree that "impression" just sounds really weird when used in this specific structure.

In my honest opinion the sentence that sounds the least "weird" and definitely the most idiomatic would be:
    "The beautiful carpet makes the room look clean."

I can definitely imagine hearing that one in a typical conversation (about carpets and cleanliness :D) while the rest sound "made up" and abnormal. Basically, they don't sound natural.

Last edited:

meijin

Japanese
    Thanks for the reply and explanations. I agree with you, and will use "The beautiful carpet makes the room look clean". :)

< Previous | Next >