improve your English by watching TV shows

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

Would anyone know how to say this sentence in Chinese? "I think you can improve your English a lot by watching American TV shows." (or TV shows from other English-speaking countries, but in this case, the student in question is only interested in North American English)
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • SuperXW

Formal: 我认为你可以通过观看美国电视节目的方法大幅提升英语水平。
    Colloquial: 我觉得你可以看看美国节目,这样英语就可以有很大的进步。
    There are other ways to translate it.

So the listener is expecting improving his/her "Canadian English"? The political correctness of your statement is questionable. Can't someone improve one's English by watching British shows? Why don't you say "watching local TV show"?

yuechu

Canada, English
    Oh, yes, absolutely! Someone can definitely improve their English by watching British shows (I prefer watching a lot of British shows, actually!), Australian shows, etc. But this student lives in Canada and is only interested in improving their spoken North American English (and is not interested in British English).
    Thanks for your help, SuperXW!

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    Can't someone improve one's English by watching British shows?
    Yes, of course! But a lot of students I teach do have a preference for one type of English over another depending on where they live, for example.

Why don't you say "watching local TV show"?
    There aren't very many local TV shows here in Canada compared to the number of American TV shows. The student in question here does not like to watch the news in English and only likes to watch Korean dramas (in Korean). My suggestion to him was to start watching English(-language) 电视剧 and, although I think British TV shows are excellent, they would not be as helpful to him, especially since he has already told me that he has trouble understanding British accents (and already finds North American accents difficult to understand when people speak quickly).
    (Oh! Actually, it is very possible that there are Canadian 电视剧, but I don't know of them. I don't think this is of very much importance though since American English and Canadian English are very similar, both in terms of accent (at least when comparing standard accents) and vocabulary)

Since he said he didn't want to watch English-language 电视剧 (电视剧 being his favourite type of TV show), I also suggested he could watch Korean 电视剧 with English subtitles.
    Perhaps I didn't word my question well in the first post, or at least didn't explain it very well. I find all varieties of English to be fascinating and like both the American and British standards, as well as the others. I do not think that, between American and British English, one is better than the other.

SuperXW

It's crystal clear when we see your additional message: (or TV shows from other English-speaking countries, but in this case, the student in question is only interested in North American English) :)

< Previous | Next >