improve yourself, before improve [improving] someone else

hablocastellano

indonesian
Hello,
I want to translate into Spanish: "Improve yourself, before improve someone else."

My attempt:
"M
ejora tu mismo antes de mojorar a otras personas."
Is it correct?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
    Hello.

I've got two questions:

-Your title reads: "Improve yourself, before improve someone else". "Before improve"; is this correct, please?
    -Could you please give us some context?

Thank you very much.

blasita

I have my doubts; the expression shocked me from the beginning. It would be nice to see the opinion of some natives.
    Agreed. Personally, I'm pretty sure that it's not correct. I think (but I'm a non-native speaker) that it should be: before you improve or before improving.

Yes, let's wait for more opinions on this. Un saludo.

Thank you for your reply, Hablocastellano. I'm sorry to insist, but some context would be appreciated.;)

UZIKATKILLKILL

Castellano, Argentina
    En español me suena muy mal, como si faltase algo. Mejorar (en general) uno lo puede hacer con uno mismo, es un esfuerzo propio. También creo que hay un error a no ser que improve tenga otra posible traducción dentro de un contexto. Por favor más contexto.

hablocastellano

indonesian
    Agreed. Personally, I'm pretty sure that it's not correct. I think (but I'm a non-native speaker) that it should be: before you improve or before improving.

Yes, let's wait for more opinions on this. Un saludo.

Thank you for your reply, Hablocastellano. I'm sorry to insist, but some context would be appreciated.;)

sorry guys, actually i'm not pretty sure it is correct o not , but i always use that sentence.:( sorry!

blasita

No worries, Hablocastellano. But the problem is that I don't like mejorar in this context either, and we'd need some context to give you a proper translation. Maybe (just maybe): intenta ser mejor/hacer las cosas mejor/superarte antes de pedírselo/exigirlo a los demás, etc.

Masood

British English
    Hello.

I've got two questions:

-Your title reads: "Improve yourself, before improve someone else". "Before improve"; is this correct, please?
    -Could you please give us some context?

Thank you very much.
    Hi blasita,
    No, it is not correct. It should be (for example) "before improving".

blasita

Hello, Masood and Mexican RV'er. Thank you. I think that's clear now. So, it's not a set phrase, isn't it? I mean, it can be used in several contexts. Context is what we need now ...:)

blasita

Many thanks, Masood (and for the correction). So, let's see what others say but, with no context, I think that any of the translations given would do.

hablocastellano

indonesian
    Many thanks, Masood (and for the correction). So, let's see what others say but, with no context, I think that any of the translations given would do.
    The contex is, I need to change my life first (from bad attitude to good attitude), so that I can change someone else attitude or lifestyle:)

Last edited:

blasita

Good! Eventually we've got a context. Thanks.

Tienes que cambiarte a ti/cambiar tu vida antes de intentar cambiar a los demás/cambiar la de los demás or Tienes que ... primero y luego ... or Cambia ...

First thing that has come to my mind. Wait for more ideas, please.

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    While agreeing with the others, I would prefer something like Empieza por mejorar tu propio estilo de vida antes de intentar modificar el de otros. Or the other way round: Antes de intentar modificar el estilo de vida de otros, empieza por mejorar el tuyo.

< Previous | Next >